Wednesday, April 7, 2010

G/G Day Five

Hello everyone,
I still haven't figured out how to position photographs in the correct order, but here we go. The first photo here is a statue of the goddess Athena located in the Nashville Parthenon. She is Annabeth's mom for the Percy Jackson fans out there. Nashville built a scale replica of the Parthenon as part of their centennial celebration about 1897. The people liked it so much that when the original plywood/chicken wire/ papier mache/ whatever replica fell apart, they built a durable one of reinforced concrete. It has a nice exposed aggregate exterior and this cool statue inside. Because we didn't have a lot of time, and because I am cheap, we sent C inside with the big camera and took the exterior shots with the small camera. I haven't downloaded the small camera yet, so here is an interior shot of the statue.
While in downtown Nashville, we spotted a place that sold beigniers(hopefully I spelled that right). G and M went in to buy a couple of beigniers while C and I circled the block. The block we were circling was a Music Row section of Broadway, so now we are a country and western family.

On one of the trips around the block, I spotted the flying pigs at Jack's Barbecue and got a twofer with Elvis crooning from the rooftop. On the other side of the block was the Country Music Hall of Fame with piano key windows. See below.




We also visited the state capitol in Nashville and saw more statues of Andrew Jackson. Also Sergeant York, the most decorated American enlisted man of World War One. Gary Cooper played him in the movie.
Here is a picure of us at the Nashville Temple. Doesn't it look like we just photoshopped the church website picture. About dusk we visited Adams, Tennessee, the site of the famous Bell Witch haunting. We didn't see anything spooky, but we still haven't thoroughly reviewed our photos for spectral images. From Adams we drove a few miles to Kentucky just to say we'd been there and then headed towards Memphis. With a traffic jam caused by a tipped over semi, we only made it as far as Jackson. Jackson does seem to pop up quite a bit on this trip. It makes me a little melancholy. ERH



2 comments:

Shanny said...

That flying pigs/Elvis on the roof picture is classic. What a great shot!

Jeanette Drake said...

I remember visiting the Parthenon the summer we lived in Tennessee. We went to church in Nashville and sometimes after church we visited other places in the area. I remember the Parthenon and also the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home.