Hey there ya’ll,
We made it to New Orleans. While still in Texas, we stopped for some original fried pies and stunned the waitress when we didn’t know what First Monday was. First off, a fried pie is just like one of those Hostess fruitpies, except that you get it hot out of the deep fat fryer. There was a massive traffic jam in front of the pie shop, and when I asked what it was, the waitress said it was for First Friday. I think that the waitress must be related to PeeWee’s tour guide at the Alamo. She couldn’t believe I didn’t know what First Monday was. It turns out First Monday is a massive swap meet held on the first Monday of each month, except that the meet starts Friday or Saturday and nobody is still there by Monday, so now you know. We pushed on to the Louisiana State Capitol in Baton Rouge. For those of you familiar with the latest Disney animated feature, we crossed in and out of Evangeline Parish a couple of times. Louisiana doesn’t have counties, they have parishes instead. Anyhow, the Louisiana capitol building was built to be the tallest state capital building in the county. It was built in art deco style with lots of pelicans and other birds. The grave of Huey Long is on the grounds. Huey Long was the governor who got the state to build the building during the depression. He became a senator and showed intentions of running for president, but then he was assassinated outside the governor’s office at the state capitol.
There are also two small plaques about the battles of Baton Rouge. One was during the Revolutionary War, and the other during the Civil War. The Civil War battle involved the Rebels trying to push the Union forces out of Baton Rouge, in which they were unsuccessful. The other battle sounds a little fishy to me as it was outside of the original thirteen colonies. In that battle the Americans forced the British out. Maybe the Southerns wanted a plaque for a victory they could be part of. The history here is pretty tricky. Spain, France, the Confederacy, Canadians, pirates, Andrew Jackson, etc. I wonder sometimes if the history got written during Mardi Gras. I am to end now because I am apparently no longer connected to the internet, and this message might just be lost anyway. Love, ERH

2 comments:
I've been craving a fried pie ever since I saw that picture.
Wow! We missed a lot when we visited Baton Rouge. We picked up a 100 gallon milk tank and drove over the bridge and on to Lafayette. About all I remember is the river in the middle of the city.
Post a Comment